Saturday, July 12, 2008

Is it time to pick up the pace?

I was one of those incorrigble optimists - I believed that the average Hyderabadi cares for Hyderabad and is willing to put in effort to reign in the chaos on the roads. But, as time went by, it started dawning on me that the average Hyderabadi doesn't give a rat's backside to what happens to the other average Hyderbadi on the road. 'Me first, you ... who cares' attitude is ingrained in all of us. The same person who is usually late for office meetings, speeds through traffic because he cannot wait for another 90 seconds. (Arre boss, my time is precious and your life is not, so dont mind me running you over while I jump the red light.) That same guy when he reaches the office will most likely go get a coffee before he starts work. Hmmm... so could he not have waited for 90 seconds for that coffee? (Why should I care about you? My car, my wish, your car, your dent)
Anyway, watch this space for some updates on my plans.

2 comments:

Raja said...

Its not about you and me....
its always about me...
"Arrey mein idhar ka nawaab...tu koun hai poochney waala"
is the attitude people bring to the roads.
This is one social aspect that will succeed only when we get a critical mass because one or two cannot make a change.
I see this here and in Bangalore also.

Sameer said...

You're right. It's always about "me"!

There is still hope when you look at the number of visitors to this blog and the number of people who have actually said that they will follow rules, no matter what!If each of us can reach out to two more, something can be done!