Thursday, October 9, 2008

Using Twitter for user generated traffic updates

Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?

Now that I've copy-pasted that from the Twitter website, let me explain how Twitter could be used by users to generate traffic updates. Let's say you're driving through Mehdipatnam and you see a traffic jam because of an accident or because of some road works in progress. You decide to warn other drivers about this by sending an sms to 556511. People who "follow" you will receive your sms via Twitter and they can then choose to leave early or take another route.
Before GPS enabled maps with real time traffic data becomes more popular, I guess this could be an effective way of creating user generated "traffic maps".

If you like this idea, then create an account at Twitter.com and register your mobile device. Send me an email to let me know you have done this. My email id is available on my blogger profile. I will also send out an email to the Google group and find out if people are interested in trying out this idea.

No comments: