Sunday, August 16, 2009

The cab story: continued!

It was a dark stormy night. Strange bat like creatures flying around....

Sorry, I just thought I'll make it a little more dramatic! :)

So here's the update:
I called the cab company - not once, not twice but about 5-6 times before I was finally put through to the supervisor of the call center. The supervisor gave me the number of the person who manages the cabs' operations. I then called this guy, who asked me to call up after another hour so that he could give me the number of the car's owner.
This "owner" (let's call him Mr. Lawyer) wasn't really the owner, but was the person who was running these cabs! (Look at the levels of contracts and sub contracts in this process).

I then told Mr. L what happened and L promised that he will revert by Thursday (day of the accident) evening. I waited until 9pm before calling L up again and he promised that the driver will call me on Friday morning and will settle the matter with me.
No surprises when the driver did not call me and I had to speak to L again to find out if he was indeed serious about this matter. The driver finally called me up on Friday evening and tried every which way to wriggle out of the mess he had crashed into. :)

After listening to various angles ranging from the accident being entirely the driver's fault to it being partially my fault to the driver's financial situations not being stable, I finally told him that he would have to pay for damages because there was no way I was letting him off that easy. He's to meet me today evening. Let's see if he comes.

A note about the cab company: pathetic customer service is what comes to mind. An accident is caused by one of their cabs and the "victim" is to call multiple times and to multiple people. It should be the company's responsibility to verify the details of the incident and revert with a plan. I guess this is one way of discouraging the complainant. I had almost given up.

I have got emails from folks asking me to report this matter to the police. I have also got calls from friends who're willing to help me register a police case.

Now, here's my take on this entire episode:
  • The accident wasn't a serious one.
  • If I had to register a case with the police, I might have had to go multiple times to the police station.
  • What happens behind the scenes is not in my control.
  • Lastly, my aim here was to make life difficult for this cab driver so that he understands that he cannot get away every time in such cases.
I will be traveling tomorrow so may not be able to update the blog until Wednesday.

1 comment:

Satish said...

Sameer

I agree with you. It shouldn't be so easy for the cabby while you suffer due to his fault. He should feel the loss.

Take my support if needed. Probably you can mention about the cab company here. A google by their future client will show this blog.