Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The cab story: The Ending!

So how do you think it turned out finally? Do you think there were punches, kicks, exchange of money, etc? Well here's how it turned out(there's a twist):

I had been badgering the cabbie to pay me the money and I kept calling him and the owner to follow up.
The cabbie was supposed to meet me on Monday night and pay me Rs. 500, but because of the downpour that night and because his daughter was not well, I told him to meet me today (Wednesday). I told him to call me before 9am and meet me by 11am. I was more interested in seeing if he will actually call me. He did call at 930am and say that he will meet around 1130. He finally came in at 130pm, but did keep me informed of his delays.
I met him outside Mindspace, right where the accident took place. I asked him to sit in my car and we drove ahead to the side of the road, parked and got out. I greeted him with a smile and made small talk with him. I told him that I was happy that he came to meet me and we spoke about how the accident took place.

I then asked him to give me the money . He said he only had Rs. 240 out of which he could give me Rs. 200. The agreement was for Rs. 500, so I told him that he will still need to pay me the rest. After some deliberation, I made him agree to pay me the rest over a 2 month period . He promised and said that he'd pay whenever he gets the chance.

The twist:
Once I had the Rs. 200 with me and his promise to pay the rest over the next 2 months, I gave him his money back. My main aim was to make sure that because of this accident, this cabbie realizes that he needs to take safe driving seriously. I told him that I had been giving him a hard time on purpose so that he is more careful on the road next time, lest he ends up dealing with someone like me again. The cabbie got emotional and started crying saying that he never expected me to be like this. He said that this "twist in the climax" was unexpected. He had a completely different view about me. I said that I wanted to make sure that he pay an amount which would pinch him and make him realize that he cannot get away with rash driving. He insisted that I keep the money, but I declined saying that I got what I had wanted . He felt happy and promised that he'd be careful about driving from now on.

We then spoke about his future plans. He hopes to buy his own taxi and run it as a radio taxi. If I had filed a police complaint, this cabbie may not have been able to do this, since the taxi companies check the police records(ask for a certificate from the police). He is financially weak and is the only earning member in a family of 10. I offered to use his taxi service whenever possible and also told him that if he needs any other help, I'd see if I can do something.

So that's how this ended. Hopefully, through all this, I may have reduced one reckless driver on our roads. I still have an ugly bumper, but you can't have your cake and eat it too, right?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for proving gandhigiri does work.

Ravitej Aluru said...

First of all, let me commend you for what you do to improve traffic sense among people on our roads!

Secondly, knowing of you, I expected 'some twist' like this was always coming!! :)

Great! You have, for sure, helped atleast one (if he doesn't pass on this lesson to anybody else) Hyderabadi road user realise the importance of safe driving.

Unknown said...

waah waah. bahut acche :) :)
way to go brother.

Vikas said...

Great way to handle situation....... Dil khush ho gaya dost.

Sameer said...

@shek - Thanks!
@Ravitej - Thanks, dude. I hope this guy is gonna drive properly from now.
@Ismail bhai - shukriya :)
@Vikas- Apna bhi dil khush ho gaya when I saw how much the money meant to the driver.

Shweta said...

Great job Sameer... I was almost in tears.. :)))

Prabha said...

Great job Sameer, I commend you :)

Anish Goyal said...

Great dude!! Thanks for working towards improving life on roads in Hyd. I bought a new car recently and am a new driver. So getting to see how people act and react on the roads. Yesterday went to big bazaar and had a sense of achieving a milestone by parking in big bazaar Ameerpet parking :-)
You have mentioned about traffic rules in your blog. Can you please point me to some source where I can read all traffic rules and also when can police stop you and what are the penalties.

Are you a member of any NGO also that works towards safe and sensible driving?